High-rise warehouses differ from automated storage systems in height. These warehouses can reach the height of a 7-8 storey building. The height exceeds 12 meters, the structures can be self-supporting (you don’t need to make a separate building, you put racks, they immediately have a roof on them, if you want warm, then sheathe them with sheets). It can work as a cold warehouse up to -30 degrees.
The height of such a warehouse can reach 50 meters, that is, it makes it possible to organize 25-30 tiers of storage of standard pallets. Racks are installed in a narrow aisle pattern and can sometimes be up to 5 pallets deep. Thus, about 8000 euro pallets up to 1.8 m high can be placed per 1000 m2, that is, the storage capacity is on average 7 pallets per 1 m2. Thus, even when compared with a warehouse equipped with high-rise mobile racks (up to 14m), the indicator of a High Bay type warehouse is much higher.
The speed of loading/unloading the racks is provided by an automatic crane, whose speed along the aisle reaches 250 m/min, and the lifting speed is about 80 m/min. Such a crane is capable of transporting or taking out up to 200 pallets per hour of work with a row length of more than 100 m.
Control of cargo dimensions and weight
Without a doubt, a warehouse complex of such volumes must use the most modern technologies. In high-rise warehouses, conveyors of various types, devices for changing the direction of pallet movement, vertical elevators with automatic loading and unloading of pallets are widely used. Automatic placement of pallets on racks imposes quite high requirements on the geometry of the pallet, and the very height of such a warehouse – on the weight of the cargo. When receiving goods, special devices are used to check the correct dimensions and weight of packages.In the event that non-palletized goods arrive at the warehouse, a section is organized at the warehouse, the goods are palletized in a film, and then sent for inspection. If any parameter exceeds the norm, the pallet automatically returns to the goods acceptance area.
High-rise warehouse management
Management of all automated warehouse systems is carried out from a single control center, where control equipment, computers with software and visualization systems for the warehouse operation process are located. Modern technologies and programs allow us to ensure the smooth operation of all systems. The chance of stopping the work process due to the fault of the software part, contrary to popular belief, is no more than 1%, due to failure protection, database duplication and equipment redundancy.
Software warehouse management is usually fully integrated with the enterprise management network (CIS, ERP, CRM, WMS) and allows real-time monitoring from a remote workplace.
Advantages of automated warehouses
- Significant reduction of time for warehouse operations. Saving time more than 3 times.
- Reduction of the need to increase warehouse space and construction of new warehouse complexes. In the case of a high-rise warehouse, only 750 sq.m. is required to store 14 thousand pallet places.
- Significant final savings of money.
- The maintenance of a large staff is being reduced. An automatic warehouse, without the organization of zones of piece configuration, can be managed by only one person.
- Errors in picking orders and re-sorting are almost completely eliminated.
- The payback period of investments in an automated warehouse attracts many owners. The reason for this is mainly due to the reduction in the number of personnel and loading equipment. This is especially true when the refrigerator warehouse is automated. The equipment used works successfully at all temperatures, does not need heating and rest. Regular maintenance allows such a warehouse to work for decades without failures and stops.
- In addition to European companies, Russian companies are also engaged in automation, offering their own software adapted to management programs.